Freitag, 9. Oktober 2020

GSM/WWAN Module on Dell Latitude 5501 under Ubuntu 18.04

XMM7360 modem to USB

I've received a second SIM card for my Mobile Phone contract, and I wanted to use it with my company laptop. Unfortunately, it didn't work out of the box for me. Let's check the type of the modem device first:

# lspci
...
02:00.0 Wireless controller [0d40]: Intel Corporation Device 7360 (rev ff)
...
I have looked up the drivers online, and a few pages describe the wrong way, but I've found that the correct modem driver. Here's how to install it:
  # cd /usr/src
  # sudo su
  # git clone https://github.com/juhovh/xmm7360_usb.git
  # cat README.md
  make
  sudo make install
  sudo modprobe xmm7360_usb

I did the recommended steps from the Readme, but not all things worked. So, I've added some commands to How-To:
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -A
sudo modprobe xmm7360_usb
echo xmm7360_usb | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Next, reboot your laptop and check the driver loaded successfully.

You can also check with nmcli:
nmcli d
DEVICE           TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION      
wlo1             wifi      connected    Auto LKDE       
docker0          bridge    connected    docker0         
eno2             ethernet  unavailable  --              
cdc-wdm0         gsm       unavailable  --              
lo               loopback  unmanaged    --              



In the end, you have to go to "Menu -> Preferences -> Network Connections" and add a new Mobile Broadband connection. (On Linux Mint 19.3)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen